The greatest joys in life are experienced in happy family relationships... the cultivation of a happy home requires effort and energy, forgiveness and patience, love and endurance and sacrifice, but it is worth all of this and more. -Gordon B. Hinkley



Friday, May 16, 2014

Poetry

I came upon Annie Flavin's poetry through another blog and I am in love with it.  It makes me laugh and cry in the same breath, it is so beautiful and so full of truth!  She writes about motherhood and she captures it perfectly.  I had to share a few...

In the Closet
by Annie Flavin

I sit down to take a bite –
the first bite,
the last bite;
they want it all,
except if it’s on their own plate.

I would give them
any organ in my body,
any breath they needed,
my life.

Yet I hide
in the kitchen,
in the pantry,
over the sink,
and eat my food –
shovel my food –
into my mouth
before they can ask for it.

“Mama?”
“Yes, honey?”
“Why does your mouth smell like chocolate’s in there?”

“There, there, sweetheart.
Go to sleep.”

Each Time
by Annie Flavin

Each time
I put them down to rest,
I kiss them good-night,
I kiss all of my screw-ups good-bye,
and I vow that
when they awaken,
we will all be new.

We can begin again.
We can start fresh.
Each and every moment.

If we can ditch
our own hang-ups and hangings-on of where we’ve failed,
and give fresh love
and serious attention,
they’ll rise right to us.

In fact,
most of the time,
they’re waiting for me
in that fresh, new space.

I just have to join them.
 

Foreplay, After Having Kids

He kissed me when he left this morning.
And said,
“Thanks for all that
you do around here,”
while nodding his head toward
the sink,
the kids,
the laundry room.
He put those kids to bed when he got home.
He cleaned the bathtub
so I could take a bath
while he straightened up.
He did the dishes and the laundry,
vacuumed even.
He never mentioned sex.
After all of that, he didn’t need to.

My Giftsby Annie Flavin

They are my woobies.
My baby blankets,
my favorite stuffed animals,
my lovies,
my pacifiers,
my protectors,
my good night songs and
my good luck charms.

I don’t know when
what I am supposed to be for them
became
what they are for me.

I don’t know when
their spirits started
filling the cracks
that were in my own.

When “she’s beautiful”
became
“I’m beautiful.”

When “he’s brilliant”
became
“I’m brilliant.”

I don’t think
it’s good or fair or right
to use their lives
as caulking for my own.

But, what do you do
when their life’s spirit
is the most beautifully brilliant piece of work
you’ve ever created?

You give it to the world.
They are them.
I am me.
Each life unique.
Each its own.

1 comment:

Meridith said...

Loved these poems! So good and so true.