The greatest joys in life are experienced in happy family relationships... the cultivation of a happy home requires effort and energy, forgiveness and patience, love and endurance and sacrifice, but it is worth all of this and more. -Gordon B. Hinkley



Friday, September 21, 2012

The time we almost went to Mt. Evans

Last friday evening when Andy got home from work, he suggested we drive up to Mt. Evans and watch the sunset. I loved the idea! By this time, it was 5:30. Once we got all the kids gathered in from riding bikes and such, got shoes and sweatshirts on, had them go to the bathroom and packed a dinner for me it was easily 6:00. Then we headed to McDonalds to get dinner for the kids and Andy to eat on the way. As we headed west towards the freeway & McDonalds, i was watching the sun go down. It took us 3 lights to get across hwy 85 to McD's. Then we ordered a bunch of nuggets. After we paid, they asked us to park in the waiting area and they would bring us our food. WHAT??! I was trying hard not to freak out. It seriously took them 5 minutes to bring us our food. That may not seem like a long time, but that sun was going down soo fast!
Once we got on the road, I just knew it wasn't in the cards for us to make it all the way to Mt. Evans. But I also knew the kids were going to be so dissapointed. As we drove west on 70 the sun went behind the mountains. I looked at Andy. We were just about to Red Rocks, another of our kids favorite places. We told them the news and they were ok with just going to red rocks and walking around for a bit. There happened to be a concert at red rocks that night. A band neither Andy or I had heard of. And there were A LOT of people there. A lot of drunk and stoned people. The place smelled really bad.  We thought we might get high from exposure, so we rolled up our windows.  We found a place with a trail where there weren't a lot of people. We hiked a little. Then people started to come.  As we were walking back to the car a girl was peeing. Right there on the trail, in front of the kids. She said "oh great! now all those kids have seen my ***!". Nice.
Sooo, it wasn't quite the trip we had planned. But I made the kids take a few pcitures anyway. They were thrilled about that.
Can't you tell by their faces?!

And that was the night we almost went to Mt. Evans... but not quite.

1 comment:

Rachel B. said...

Ha ha! Love it! Bless your hearts for trying! I love the pictures of the kids looking super happy. :)