The greatest joys in life are experienced in happy family relationships... the cultivation of a happy home requires effort and energy, forgiveness and patience, love and endurance and sacrifice, but it is worth all of this and more. -Gordon B. Hinkley



Friday, February 20, 2009

Another first day of Kindergarten







Trace and Rian have been going to different schools so far this year because the charter school Rian attends did not have any openings for Kindergarten. Actually the waiting list is quite long every year and getting in is a miracle really! But the school called last week and said that they had a child leave and wanted to know if we were still interested in Trace attending. I was shocked and excited but I felt apprehensive for a few reasons...

1. It is a spot in the am class and Trace has been attending pm kindergarten. He is my only sleeper-inner and I just wasn't sure how he would do with getting up, ready, having breakfast and out the door by 8 am.

2. Usually as soon as he heads off to school around noon, I take the little kids home and put them down for naps and try to get one myself. Am I really ready to say good-bye to my naps? Or could I get him to nap on occasion too because he has had to get up before he was ready and maybe he would be tired.

3. Landmark is kind of famous for their rigorous academic program, even in kindergarten. So far, his other school is pretty laid back and doesn't take much effort on my part as far as the academics go and I know this would change when he changes schools. Actually, the boy who left Landmark left for that exact reason... his mom thought the academics were too much (for her or her son I do not know, but just too much). With the baby just 4 weeks away, am I ready to take on more homework helping?!

4. So lame, but what about how cute Trace is in all his school clothes and now I have to go out and buy him uniforms for school. Since Rian has been wearing uniforms this year it has saved me a lot of time and $ on clothes for her. Trace on the other hand has drawers full of all his cute school clothes that will be of no use anymore... except on Saturdays. And having to go out and find uniforms for him... khaki pants, light blue or white collared shirts, and black or brown dress shoes and belt... every day.

5. Trace really loves his school and his teacher at his current school. He loves riding the bus and his bus drivers are the best. He is really happy where he is and he doesn't always do well with change.

Well, with those things being said, I just know that this is such a great opportunity for Trace. He is totally ready for more academic challenges and getting up and going in the am is good practice for next year anyway. Now he gets to walk to school with Rian every morning and he feels like such a big boy, I can just see it in his face. And lets be honest, he is the cutest boy ever in his uniform!! He is just my little stud and I am so thankful and proud of him for making the change so well. Maybe it is ME who doesn't do so well with change??
Anyway, I just wanted to get some of my feelings about all of this down and I know that this is really a huge blessing for our family. There are 4 or 5 kids in his new class from our ward and I am really happy about that! Lets just hope I can keep up!

So now Landmark isn't just "Rian's school" as it has been called. Now it is "Trace & Rian's school" and I know Trace is very proud and happy about that... and so am I!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

OH! I am so jealous! We've been on the waiting list all year. Dang! Congrats to you guys though - that is awesome! I hope Trace adjusts to the new school well. You will have to let me know how big the difference is between the two schools!